P.O. Box 110240 IFAS
Gainesville, FL 32611-0240
Ethics and Policy in the Food System; Ethics of Food & Agricultural Biotechnology; Ethics in Science and Technology; Ethics & Sustainability
I have thoroughly enjoyed my 23 years in the Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences at the University of Florida, where I have had the opportunity to work with an amazing group of economists, biological scientists, and policy makers. Being a philosopher in an applied economics department has opened up teaching and research avenues that I might not have found had I stayed in a traditional disciplinary philosophy department. And, being Graduate Coordinator for a department with over 100 Masters and PhD students has been a joy: their youth, their multicultural backgrounds, and their enthusiasm have kept me young (at least at heart and in mind).
- Ethics of Global Food Safety & Security; Ethics & GMOs in the Developing World (especially Latin America)
- Ethics in Scientific Education.
- Jeffrey Burkhardt, Gary Comstock, Peter Hartel and Paul Thompson, 2005. Agricultural Ethics. Ames IA: Council for Agricultural Science and Technology.
- Jeffrey Burkhardt, 2008. “The Ethics of Agri-Food Biotechnology: How Can an Agricultural Technology be so Important?” In L. David & P. Thompson, eds., What Can Nanotechnology Learn from Biotechnology, New York: Academic Press.
- Jeffrey Burkhardt, 2008. “Ethics.” In G. Goreham, ed., Encyclopedia of Rural America, Second Edition. Millerton NY: Grey House Publishing.
- Jeffrey Burkhardt, 2008. “Ethics of GMOs/Biotechnology.” In B. Callicott & R. Frodeman, eds., Encyclopedia of Environmental Ethics and Philosophy, Farmington Hills MI: Macmillan.
- Jeffrey Burkhardt, 2008. “Why Can’t Science Tell the Truth: Scientific Literacy in a Postmodern World.” In A. Keysar & B. A. Kosmin, eds., Secularism & Science in the 21st Century, Hartford: Institute for the Study of Secularism in Society and Culture.
- Jeffrey Burkhardt, 2008. “The Industrialization of Agriculture and the Family Farm Critique of Agricultural Biotechnology.” In T. H. Murray & M. L. Mehlman, eds., Encyclopedia of Ethical, Legal and Policy Issues in Biotechnology Second Edition. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
Honors and Awards
- Chair, UF Joint Senate-Presidential Committee on Sustainability (2007-2008)
- Chair, Council on Agricultural Science and Technology (CAST) Ethics Task Force (2001- 2005)
- Invited Member, USDA Advisory Committee on Agricultural Biotechnology (ACAB)(2000-2002)
- Ph.D., 1979. Philosophy (graduate minor: Economics). Florida State University
- M.A., 1977. Philosophy. Florida State University
- B.A., 1973. Philosophy. Florida State University
- Agricultural and Natural Resource Ethics
- History of Economic Thought
- Issues in Science and Society
- Foundations of Food & Resource Economics