Alan W. Hodges
P.O. Box 110240 IFAS
Gainesville, FL 32611-0240
Alan Hodges is an Extension Scientist in the Food & Resource Economics Department at the University of Florida, Institute of Food & Agricultural Sciences, and he also holds an affiliate faculty appointment in the School of Forest Resources and Conservation. He received Masters and Ph.D. degrees in Agricultural and Biological Engineering from the University of Florida (1988, 1995), and a Bachelors from the University of Chicago (1982). His areas of research include regional economic impact analysis, market survey research, agribusiness management, and biomass energy resource development. He serves as director of the UF program in Economic Impact Analysis, which conducts sponsored projects for industry organizations and government agencies encompassing a wide range of activities and industries, including agriculture, forestry, fisheries, tourism, golf, healthcare, housing construction, energy and higher education. Economic impact studies are accomplished using the IMPLAN input-output analysis and social accounting system, which enables estimation of economic multipliers for over 400 industry sectors in any area of the United States. IMPLAN regional models account for industrial commodity production and consumption, employment, income, taxes, capital investment, interregional trade, and transfer payments. Many economic impact studies also involve mail, telephone or internet surveys for collection of primary data on special activities or industries where secondary data may not be available. He is involved with the environmental horticulture sector to develop financial benchmarks for business analysis wholesale nursery operations. He served as chairman of the Green Industry Research Consortium of university economists and horticulturists. He has participated in projects with total funding support in excess of $5 million.
Areas of Expertise/Specialization
Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics, Agribusiness Management, Economic Impact Analysis, Regional Economics, Survey Research, Financial Analysis, Environmental Horticulture, Biomass Resources, Bioenergy, Forest Chemicals.
- Ph.D., University of Florida, Agricultural and Biological Engineering, 1995
- M.S., University of Florida, Agricultural and Biological Engineering, 1988
- B.A., University of Chicago, Behavioral Science, 1982
University of Florida, Institute of Food & Agricultural Sciences, Food & Resource Economics Department:
- Extension Scientist, 2008-present; Associate Extension Scientist, 2007-08
- Associate-In, 2003-07; Assistant-In, 2001-03 (non-tenured faculty)
- Coordinator of Economic Analysis, 1988-2001
- Statistical Research Assistant, 1985-88
Professional Associations and Service
- Director, Economic Impact Analysis Program, University of Florida, Food & Resource Economics Department, 2007-present.
- Affiliate Faculty, University of Florida, School of Forest Resources & Conservation, 2001-present.
- Green Industry Research Consortium, USDA/CREES, Southern States Agricultural Experiment Stations, Multi-State Project S-1021, Chairman 2007-2011, member since 1995.
- Editor, Forest Chemicals Review, a bimonthly trade publication covering the forest chemicals industry, 1997-2006.