Food and Resource Economics
Committee Chair: Dr. Laila Racevskis
Committee: Dr. Brian Child, Associate professor Geography and Center of African Studies, Dr. Renata Serra, lecturer Center of African Studies, Dr. Jeff Burkhardt, professor Food and Resource Economics
Field of Specialization
Natural resource Economic, Economic development, Agricultural production
- “Land Use Alternatives and Livelihood Viability in Ecosystems at risk of emergent Animal Diseases” (Child, B., G. Parent and J. Musengezi) A research presentation for 10th Animal and Human Health for the Environment and Development, Great Limpopo Transfrontier Conservation Area (AHEAD-GLTFCA) Working Group Meeting, Hazyview, South Africa, 24-26 February, 2010.
- “Alternative Land Uses and Trade Offs in the Great Limpopo Transfrontier Conservation Area” (Child, B., G. Parent and J. Musengezi).Keynote review paper 10th AHEAD-GLTFCA Working Group Meeting, Hazyview, South Africa, 24-26 February, 2010.
- “Wildlife Utilization on Private Land: Understanding the Economic Imperatives behind Game Ranching in South Africa” A poster presentation. For Tropical Conservation and Development Program, 59th Annual center for Latin American Studies Conference, 26th Annual Center for African Studies Gwendolyn M. Carter Lectures. Gainesville, Florida, January 28 -30, 2010
- “Factors Influencing Fishermen\'s Willingness to Sell versus Likelihood to Accept Landings-based Bids for all Fishing Assets” A paper presentation at International Institute of Fisheries Economics and Trade, Portsmouth, United Kingdom, July 11 -14 2006
- “A Double-Hurdle Model of Preferences for a Proposed Capacity Reduction Program in the Atlantic Shark Fishery” A paper presentation at the Southern Agricultural Economics Association annual meeting, Orlando, Florida, February 4-8, 2006
- “Preferences for a Proposed Capacity Reduction Program in the Atlantic Shark Fishery” A paper presentation at the Fifth Annual Food and Resource Economics Graduate Research Symposium, Gainesville, Florida, November 18, 2005
Awards and Achievements
- Prochaska Award for outstanding master’s thesis in the Food and Resource Economics Department 2007
- Vice president of communications 2010, Food and Resource Economics Graduate Student Organization.
- Editorial committee, African Studies Quarterly Journal, 2009-2010.
- Jessica Musengezi
1094D McCarty Hall B
P.O. Box 110240 IFAS
Gainesville, FL 32611-0240
(352) 392 1826 Ext. 427
- MSc. Food and Resource Economics - University of Florida 2006
- BSc. Agriculture honors (Agricultural Economics)- University of Zimabawe 2003